Geriatric rehabilitation is a type of service that centers on seniors’ health and recovery needs. These rehab programs have medical professionals, such as nurses and therapists, with specific knowledge about providing the best care to elderly patients.
Geriatric rehabilitation aims to bring the patients back to their former mental and physical functioning before the health incident. Some of these programs have shorter in-patient care and long-term outpatient therapy.
Some conditions of the elderly that can benefit from geriatric rehabilitation include the following:
* Ataxia is a group of disorders affecting a senior’s balance, coordination, and speech. Their poor muscle control causes clumsy movements. Ataxia may also result in difficulty walking, hand coordination, speech, swallowing, and eye movements. The damage to the cerebellum causes the disorder, which is the part of the brain that controls muscle coordination.
* Parkinson’s disease is a brain disorder that results in uncontrolled movements, such as shaking, stiffness, and others. Usually, the symptoms of Parkinson’s begin slowly and aggravate over time. As the condition progresses, the elderly patient may find it difficult to walk and talk. In senior patients, rehabilitation should be started early and focused on functional objectives defined by the rehabilitation team.
* Multiple Sclerosis is a disease of the brain and spinal cord (central nervous system) that limits the elderly’s movements, senses, and activities. Its symptoms include weakness, fatigue, balance problems, visual changes, cognitive impairment, and sleep disturbances.
* Dementia refers to the inability to remember, think or decide on things they encounter daily. Alzheimer’s is a type of dementia, and it is the most common. Though dementia is diagnosed in older adults, this disorder is not a part of normal aging.
In all of these conditions that require geriatric rehabilitation, patients are offered various therapies according to their needs. Physical therapy uses exercises and equipment to aid patient mobility after an injury, accident, surgery, or long illness, where patients spend a long time in bed. Occupational therapy uses daily activities such as doing household chores, putting on shoes, and all the things they love doing. Speech therapy is designed to help patients overcome issues with language and cognitive skills, as well as eating and swallowing.
Specialisations in geriatric rehabilitation include the following medical conditions:
- post-surgery care
- cardiac rehab
- respiratory care and pulmonary disease
- orthopedic care
- neurological diseases, such as those mentioned above.
If you are trying to find a geriatric rehab facility that can provide short or long-term rehabilitation for seniors, you need not find the task challenging. Mission Walk Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation Centre in Hyderabad can offer the necessary physiotherapy services to your loved ones. With our efficient and qualified staff, you can rest assured that your parent or grandparent will receive the best care possible. You can have peace of mind knowing that the best staff is looking after and caring for your seniors.
Call us if you have queries or want to book a consultation appointment at our number 971 91773 00194. You can also send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll be waiting for you to get in touch.