The Benefits of Talking Therapy
These days, you can find all sorts of people going through a bad time, experiencing extreme sorrow or anxiety, or suffering from emotional issues that they cannot resolve on their own. Talking therapy can help you get back to your normal life if you or someone you know is like these people.
Talking therapy also called psychotherapy, is a form of mental health treatment that covers emotional, behavioural, and personality disorders. It works well regardless of your age, sexual orientation, skin color, social standing, or even educational background. Every person can receive talk therapy with or without medication.
Individuals with mental health issues usually find it easier to talk to strangers like therapists or counsellors than their own family and friends. During the process, a trained counsellor will listen to you, and you talk to them, telling them what’s troubling you. You will be given time to talk. You can even cry or shout and think. Don’t worry that you will be judged; instead, they will help you find answers to your problems differently.
Talking therapies can be done individually, in groups, or in couples.
There are five (5) different categories of talking therapy:
- Behavioural Therapyis a common option for people suffering from depression, anxiety, anger, panic disorder, addiction, and eating disorders. Behavioural therapy aims to correct self-destructive behaviour and replace them with healthier ones.
- Humanistic Therapyhelp patients focus on realising and fulfilling one’s talents and potentialities, so they can live a life that is in accordance with their real self.
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, also called CBT Therapy, gives special importance to how your beliefs influenceyour thought patterns. You can identify and correct negative thoughts using mindfulness, self-monitoring, and challenging harmful thoughts with CBT therapy.
- Psychodynamic Therapy is the type that has nearly the same meaning as talking therapy. The tactic is to dive into the unconscious motivations and meanings of thoughts and behaviours to determine what drives people to react.
- Holistic or Integrative Therapyincludes personalised treatment plan or a combination of any or all of the five types of therapies that can serve you better.
Talking therapy effectively treats mental health conditions, including stressors that can negatively affect your daily life functions. Aside from this, there are other benefits of talking therapy. This type of treatment can be used if:
* You’ve been medically examined and found to have serious mental health conditions, such as bipolar disorder, scizophrenia, depression, anxiety, phobia, anxiety, or eating disorder.
* You’ve experienced a challenging life event, such as the death of a loved one, loss of a job, or news of a serious illness. These instances and more will make you sad, sorrowful, and upset. Talking therapy will allow you to deal with your sadness.
* You’ve suffered from long-term physical health conditions due to diabetes, stroke, heart disease, and others.
* You’re over 65 years old. With old age comes depression or feeling low at all times. Talking therapy can enhance your enjoyment of your later life.
* You’ve been abused sexually or physically, discriminated against, and experienced racism. Undergoing talk therapy will allow you to cope better with life.
* You have relationship and family problems. Is your relationship in trouble? Or are you going through a separation and divorce? If your partner refuses to go to counselling, you can go alone. Talking therapy will help you sort out things on your own.
If the issue involves the children and the whole family, talking therapy can be helpful to children with behavioural problems or depression or whose parents are splitting up.
* You find it difficult to keep your anger under control. Talking therapy is a great option.
* Your child has anxiety, ADHD,
or attention-deficit hyperactivity and who is in physical pain most of the time.
Talking therapy can improve a person’s cognitive behaviour, which is the mental process of acquiring knowledge and understanding through thoughts, senses, and experience.
If you need a talking therapist to work on the mental issues of your loved one, kindly get in touch with Mission Walk Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation Centre.
We will be happy to assist you in resolving your problems.